Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Future of AnimaRO

It's been a long time, guys.

Since mid-September, the webserver's been down and we haven't given you guys much of an explanation. Unfortunately, I really still can't give out the whole truth of what went on. The reality of it all is kind of harsh, and I wish there was another way I could do this.

The webserver is gone. The people responsible for its shutdown performed an OS reload on it and deleted both it and the backup files. Furthermore, due to outside pressure, establishing a temporary website of any kind could have resulted in very serious legal complications.

I've been apologizing since September about this, but I have to reiterate how sorry I am. I never wanted it to come to this.

The end result of all the things going on in my life right now is that AnimaRO is no longer able to exist. I simply am no longer able to keep things going, and changing hands would just cause someone else to get into trouble.

However, since the webserver was shut down, we've been making contingency plans. A team of former staff members and community leaders has agreed to take up the AnimaRO community as well as take the aRO game database so that you will keep your characters and items. Over the last couple months, we've run the game servers while they made everything ready so that you can seamlessly switch over between the two servers.

The new community home will be (as some of you have already guessed) www.anthemro.com. Likewise, the IRC channel will move to #anthemro. I'm not sure what will happen with TS at the moment, but I have the current one paid up until January, so that should be plenty of time for an alternative to get set up.

I realize how important this place is to many of you, and while I can't keep it alive, I can assure you that your new home will take good care of you. I've given a lot of guidance to them, and some of them are former staff as well. This means that most of the systems you've come to know and love, like automated donations, ad pennies, support tickets, and such will remain intact in the transition.

It is very important though that I reiterate that I will not be involved. Thus, do not send PayPal or snailmail payments to the old recipients as they will not go to the new site. I may stick around as a community member to make more informative posts about playing RO in general, though.

I am really sorry things didn't go smoothly with me at the helm. I know that Talis, Isuzu, and the rest of the new team will do a much better job in the lead than I likely did.

Thanks so much for sticking around. I love you guys, and every bit of support you gave over the last few years has been very appreciated.

See you all on the flip side, guys and gals.

22 comments:

Kaitou-kun said...

So, hmm... I guess a lot of people anticipated a big change already. But you failed to mention something that leaves me still confused. Do we have to download anything like a new patcher?

Or if the aRO is really gonna go down one day or is it just gonna continue on as anthemRO?

I'll see, I guess.

Dark Eternity said...

I really, can't think of anything productive to say. And goodbye is certainly, the not thing to say. All I can do is wish luck to the future of AnimaRO. And good wishings to all the staff of AnimaRO. ~Dark Eternity

Ressous said...

What about the 11.2 episode? I heard from a player it came out for our server type. Think it will be added by them? Also hope you come back again Harken as a GM :3

zolous said...

When was the final back-up of the server which will be transfering over made?

Justin Jasinski said...

yah could of let everyone know how it will go down. are we gonan have to download their patcher or is animaro just gonna become anthemro? plus on their site there are no links for patchers, itemshop, or foums, so a little more info on that would be appreciated.
Goodbye animaro
Hello anthemro

FangerZero said...

Harken Whatever you're up to I wish you luck. And thanks for everything. See ya laters though. *Waves a fair well* but it's all good ^_^ at least you'll still be playing w/ us in the community. I say you did a pretty good job even after all that rift raft in the beginning of your term. Well see ya some time maybes.

Ressous said...

I to wonder about the download question...

MasterMaje said...

It's okay.

I'll love aRO till it's run into the ground.

Who owns the server? Doesn't matter.

Good luck Harken.

Raltorim of Asterisk

Mystic said...

Thanks for all your work keeping AnimaRO alive, Harken and the GM Team. Hope to see you around on AnthemRO.

Ressous said...

My friend quit about 10 min ago. He gave his +6 DL sel for a +4 DL sle to our guildie. He upped the +4 to +6 (yes awsom) and repeated the process to our GL. made those +4 to +6 and gave me the +6 for my +4. Today is an awwwsom day so please can you answer whether the server will be copying the info from 7:00 a.m.


GL in the real world Harken :3

Taiyou said...

Dear Mr. RO Guru,
While this would be an opportune time to give my best wishes and say so long - I do hope that in memory of aRO, that you will continue to update this blog site on what may continue to matter to this player base. The mechanics, the quirks, and your thoughts on anything, if not everything RO.

As some or maybe none of you may still be GMs on AnthemRO, I hope the rest of you may have time to offer or share your thoughts no new strategies and tactics or even new ways to improve the quality of the game as it advances through the chapters.

Alcyon said...

Well, I stared at the computer screen for half a hour and tried to come up with something in response.
To save a few paragraphs,I would like to say...

1. Harken, do not blame yourself too harshly.

2. I read on the new homepage that there are logs of scammers and botters. Go get them :)

3.There was a old saying that went something along the lines of "With change comes progress"; may the same apply with Anima.

Kaeri said...

thank you, harken. even though things didn't go as planned, you didn't just drop everything and give up; you worked with the new gm team until a solution was reached. without you, who knows where we'd be now. this change may be unsettling for some people especially with the loss of old forums posts and ad credit, but sometimes a new beginning is needed. this server has gone through many many changes from the beginning, and this is just another one along the way.

when i was standing in the mob of people in pront, i had an insight that i don't know if anyone heard over the caps-spamming: our server is not a machine or a game with a certain name; it is a group of people.

might sound kinda cliche, but it's true. so many of us stay here for friends and fellowship... oh and there's that "playing the game" thing too. :p

well, harken, good luck with everything... see you around!

Unknown said...

Goodbye,Harken.
Over the years, you have made a great Gm, and Anima will always stay the best server.
It is sad that we have to move, but I'm sure all the changes are for good.
Goobye Harken.
It has been a pleasure to know you

Anonymous said...

/wrist ;-; D: /sob
Well, it was a fun server, I really miss it, since the site went down, my guild split up(4orce-DEA) and I have administered 2 server and am still on 1 scripting as well as administering.
This server was my first, the one that got me hooked, and I can't wait to return...
Thanks for your help GM Harken.
And everyone else for their support.

[ Wolf-Speaker* ] said...

We loves u GM Harken~~<3

pokmin said...

well, all i can say is thank you Harken, where all other servers failed me, you guys stuck through, you did all you could, and thats all we could ask you for. good luck in whatever you do, and don't be a stranger to us.

~nyanko~ said...

Thanks for finally shedding some light on the status of the server.
Greatly appreciated.
Would like to know if new patches will be needed for the new server though.. but its all cool.. at least we're not being kept in the dark anymore. Take your time in updating us bit by bit.
Oh right, so our credits are gone? /sob

I really appreciate the times I've spent in aRO. Made great friends, spent time with my friends and my dearest boyfriend in there... all this made possible by you guys.

Thanks for keeping aRO alive for as long as you guys did.
Good Luck.

iDUYEN said...

omgomgomg all this gib gab -i dont understand xO i've only been playing aRO for a short while but i LOVE it mr harken. i've heard many good things about you

your an active gm that sets many cute and quirky events. u've done a great job andf i thank you dearly please continue to play with us and good luck

woot woot three cheers for mr HARKEN ~

Sup sup said...

WHAT!? HOLY HARKEN !!
I'm so sad.. =[ /sob I have been playing this server estimated around two months now and mark my words, "I LOVE ANIMARO". >=/

Wahh you better be playing anthemRO as a GM or a normal character..
IF your a normal character please notify me on Giga Turtle..

OMG I LOVE YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK THAT YOU DID ON THIS SERVER!! x_X

You just have to be reading this =D

Unknown said...

what about the money i donated before the site went down. I did not get to choose my items or anythign.. My 50$ gone :(

Unknown said...

"A team of former staff members and community leaders has agreed to take up the AnimaRO community as well as take the aRO game database so that you will keep your characters and items."


when will that be taken into effect?